An Introduction

For as long as I can remember, I have always been interested in reading and writing. At a young age I used to love writing poems at school and writing extravagant stories for my younger siblings. I loved to read the books my teacher would have in their library. I would read to my siblings all the time. Around middle school, the poems and stories transitioned to writing notes and letters for my friends; all in the effort to spread a positive message to them. While reading was fun, I wrote more than read during the time. This all really changed in high school. I started to not like writing for pure enjoyment or even with reason like I had before.

As explained in the article, Ten Ways to Think about Writing, it started to feel like a chore and all the rules felt like an obligation. This took out the fun I had writing when I had not known of these rules. While reading the section, The Little Green Ball and Some People, it really made me realize the power of details. Telling the reader how everyone might have a different interpretation of what we might mean to say. Comparing two ways of describing a little green ball and elaborating the different greens and sizes someone may think really stuck with me. Another point that was brought up in the article is under the section Lost Money and Thank-You Notes. In the section, they compare different types of audiences. Who your audience is can change the way you write, this really shifted my way of thinking. I definitely talk to my best friend in a different manner compared to my parents or my siblings. The whole article was very insightful for me and did make me think about writing from a different perspective.

Throughout the semester, I will be sure to refer to this article. My writing isn’t the best but I hope to improve with each essay or creative writing I find myself doing. I have only recently started a journal where I can sort out my thoughts and ideas, so I hope that can enhance my writing as well.